Tackling antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and the full implementation of the EU One Health Action Plan against AMR, have been identified as key health priorities of the 2019 – 2024 European Commission. Multidisciplinary ”One Health” approach to this problem is the only way for Europe to become a global leader and the best practice region on AMR.
FVE as a representative body of European veterinarians co-signed the new roadmap to tackle antimicrobial resistance that was released during the European Antibiotic Awareness Day on the 18 November 2019 by the Stakeholder Network on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR). The AMR Stakeholder Network is hosted under the European Commission’s Health Policy Platform and led by the European Public Health Alliance (EPHA), as the only civil society-led pan-European stakeholder network on AMR. It comprises over 80 leading organisations, including FVE, and individuals committed to tackling AMR from a “One Health” approach.
The signatories of the Roadmap urge the EU institutions and/or Member State governments to:
- set targets and performance indicators to measure progress
- help countries mobilize resources for better implementation of national AMR policies
- close the existing collaboration gap between civil society and EU policy-makers
- put prevention at the heart of AMR policy-making
- tackle the environmental dimension of AMR in the framework of the European Green Deal